My Ride

My Ride

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Days Four and Five

What a day on day four! My first Century ride and I feel better than I thought.
Many, many thanks to Maria and Mark for the help with that second flat and for lightening my load. I left at least half of things I was carrying with Maria to take back to Havelock for me. I will be doing laundry at least every 3 days now. 
I am making better time now with the lighter weight and the stronger legs. I probably average 11-12 mph
Hwy 17 in SC is very stressful, I has an awful rumple strip and only about 18 inches of shoulder, most of which has so much debree that it would be unrideable even if it were wider, 
By the time I hit Mount Pleasant my nerves were shot. I look up at yet another bridge to cross and decide it is time to take a break. It was very lucky for me because I stopped at a McDonald's and meet three very nice ladies who rerouted me to a very pleasant route across to Charleston. They saved the day and my nerves.
The rest of the day was peaceful and Caroline was a great Hostess. Thank you, again so much. 

Today, Day Five another story. The alarm went off at 0600 and I jump to it. Get ready, packed up, water jugs fill, then check the weather. Isn't only 42!!! Yea, well this woman will not ride that cold. So I set the alarm for one hour and lay back down.
The ride wasn't too bad(Now that it is over). I went a little out of the way because I missed the turn on to what turned out to be part of the rails to trails. Now a problem with the program it doesn't tell you that part of it is grass and part if gravel. Fortunately for me I met a man that rides with a medical team. He road with me for a while and gave me the information. "Ride with GPS" sent me down not one but two more dirt roads today too. I will check tomorrows route again.
Tonight I am staying with some friends, Andrea and Josh Eubank. Josh even made me a nice spaghetti dinner.
What I fine that is nice about this is that at the end of the day, I forget about the jerks that take the whole road and yell at you and cut you off. After all, they are the ones having the bad day. The problem I have is that I forget the names of all the nice people I am meeting too. So, If by chance you are one of them drop me a note and help me remember! 
Good Night from Laurel Bay, South Carolina

No comments:

Post a Comment